Monday, April 22, 2013

KCW - a kick in the pants (or participating in Kids Clothes Week)



I need a sewing kick in the pants.  Last week I was lamenting the state of my many projects and the endless stitchery still to be done on the hand embroidered dress for M.  The universe heard my frustration and I saw that this week is Kids Clothes Week!  One hour a day, devoted to sewing for the kiddos.  A timely excuse for me to dig in the stash, print out some patterns, get tracing and most importantly, get sewing.  Get inspired.   And get it done.

I picked out these four fabrics from my stash, from L - R:
Kokka Echino Spiderwebs and Butterflies Yellow fabric (not sure which pattern yet)
African Wax Print (from Verb) for a Made by Rae Geranium Tunic View B
Marimekko orange print (a seconds fabric I have been saving for years) for a Geranium Dress View B
Purples Shot Cotton Stripe fabric (also from Verb) for an Oliver & S Ice Cream Dress View A


(the Marimekko print is BIG! This is the length of most of the ironing board!)


I am looking forward to using the same two patterns for all the clothes I sew this week.  The Geranium Dress is so versatile, a lovely little popover dress that I see so many fantastic versions of.  Also the Ice Cream Dress is so great for playing with stripes and pattern, and pockets in both!

The prep I did last night was to get the patterns ready, printing, piecing and tracing.  After tracing both the 18-24 month and 2T sizes this morning I decided to cut the 2T size only for all.  (Might be a little big right now but perfect in a month.)

This morning I spent 1.5 hours cutting the patterns out of the African Wax print and the Marimekko fabric. They are both big, bold patterns, so each fabric took a little thinking and sketching to work out the pattern placement - what to center, what to match, what to patchwork.

Now ready to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment